Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Nephew

 


Nephew
(Mark with his dad in Costa Rica)

My nephew came for a visit yesterday,
my younger brother’s son,
(We share the same name)
all grown up, 33 years old,
could see my siblings face and mannerisms
when Mark spoke.

As we conversed, I begin to see aspects of myself,
for though we are very different,
we share a great deal of DNA.

As he spoke I found that he thought in ways
familiar to my way of processing,,
in his 20’s, like me,
he read Ayn Rand,
I said to him:
“I read her because I had so much inner chaos,
she helped me to develop my ability to think;
to use my rational faculties better,”
Overall she was a great help,
though I am not a Rand follower by any means.

And he responded that he read her as well
for that reason, though of course
we are not the same,
like the rest of us,
he is unique.

Newly married,
I could see that he will be a good husband,
thoughtful, able to step back and think,
wanting to be a loving and thoughtful spouse,
and hopefully a father.
Hope to meet his lovely wife some day,
his face shown with pride when speaking of her.

The years go by so fast,
now I am among the seniors of my generation,
my parents gone now for a while,
mom for almost 30 years,
dad going on 10.

I enjoy the spot,
next in line,
in the front,
with other generations marching behind.
It was truly a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment