Saturday, November 10, 2012

Rowing the same boat



Rowing the same boat

My spiritual path is shown me by the cycles that I go through in my life.  Being a Christian, that will dictate certain avenues that I can travel and other routes that need to be avoided.  Failures and successes are equal, if the journey is continued and I don’t simply give up in frustration and despair; which is a form of self-hatred, after a significant set back on my journey towards God.

Each person has a unique path, yet also similar because of our shared humanity.  I have found that one way for me to deal with my own inner chaos and pain, is to understand that there are many who are going through the same thing I am experiencing.  In understanding this, I no longer feel “my terminal uniqueness”, no, I find that I belong to a large community of brothers and sister who like me, struggle, fall and get up again.   In this commonality, compassion and empathy arises and judgments cease to carry the power they once did.  Self knowledge that leads to self love also deepens ones respect, insight and love for others.

I am called to love of self.  I can’t truly love others until I learn this lesson.  When the darkness swoops down, and my own inner alienation is strongest, it is then that I refuse to believe that I am only ‘that’, but much more.  Our relationship with the Transcendent will slowly lead to healing; at least that is my experience.

So now when I pray, or mediate, there is always something to pray about, along with others who struggle the way I do….and when I meditate, I do so to become one in silence before God, with all who are rowing the same boat.

(Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. 24 Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”26 He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
27 The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!)
(Matt 8: 23-27)

No comments:

Post a Comment