Sunday, March 31, 2013

Slowly approaching his eternal life


Fr. Luke
(Slowly approaching his eternal life)

Fr. Luke still has moments of activity, focusing on his present task.  Yesterday he wanted to get up and make finger rosaries.  So I got him up, but made a deal with him….he had to eat some breakfast before he began work.  So he promised to eat and he did.  He then spent the rest of the morning making the rosaries.  He was only able to do four, but he worked with deep concentration. 

At about 11, three hours after I got him up, he told me his back was starting to hurt.  So I said, finish this last rosary and I will get you back to bed.  He asked me to add the crosses which I was happy to do.  Rafael came up about ten minutes later and we both got Luke into bed; he was exhausted.  So he pretty much slept for 20 straight hours and then he awoke again.  I gave him some coffee and pastries which he asked for.  I promised to take him to 11 AM mass today and will get him up at 9:30 and give him breakfast.  After mass if he is up to it, I will see if he wants to eat with the community, or if he is tired, put him back to bed.

His sleeping time is increasing as his energy level continues to diminish.  He is at peace, happy and is becoming gentler as he nears his death….when that will be; only God knows.  He loves life, people and making his rosaries, perhaps that is enough to keep him here a while longer.

I love the way he says ‘Ok”, when I ask him to do something; funny how the littlest things can give joy, or perhaps I am getting old enough to actually see the ‘little things’.

No comments:

Post a Comment