Sunday, December 16, 2012

Violent species




Violelnt species
I am violent.  I have strong inner images that suggest that I fight, overcome my enemies with force and as well as overcome the rights of others so that I can get what I want.  I am also a man who has compassion and love for others and am a care giver by trade.  I am both angel and beast, perhaps we all are.  I believe for anyone to be just a decent everyday human being takes a great deal of inner balance, self knowledge and discipline.  We do it so often that this reality can be overlooked.  

Violent games and movies are loved my men.  I love them, know they are fantasy, but they are in fact violent.  Men are war like, we are built to fight, to protect, to attack as well.  This of course works against us, this instinct to fight and overcome others.  Wars are the outcome of this inner war forced out upon others.

Women can be violent as well.  The very best of us has an inner beast, as well as an inner reptile that we all need to deal with.  For some, I consider myself one of those, we may need to be more aware to simply keep this inner 'self' under control.  Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde  a story based on fact, not fantasy.  Two sides, two faces, two ways to do things….We are divided, at war with ourselves, well many of us are.

I do agree however that if those entities that exist just to make money, would consider the long term effects their games, drugs and foods have on our society it may help things a bit.  We are part of our culture, all of us; none of us are free from the influences of TV, mags, internet and our friends.  

We are sinners, we miss the mark, we are yet fully human.......perhaps mostly beast at this junction of our evolution.  Yet I have hope, for most people struggle like I do just to make it through the day and to hopefully make this world a better place.  I think this is God’s grace at work in all of our lives, a part and parcel of all existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment